Lesson 3: Legal Issues And The Advertising Codes
In previous lessons we looked at trends in consumer behaviour and innovations in technology, and how you can make the most of these in your digital marketing. Another factor you need to take into account is the system of rules and regulations which govern this area.
In this lesson, we will consider the legal issues and regulations related to digital, to get you thinking about how these rules might affect your work, and how you can stay up to date with any changes.
In this fast-moving profession, you’ll often find that these regulations need to be interpreted in light of changing consumer expectations or new technological developments. In this lesson we are giving you an opportunity to consider these rules in relation to specific scenarios by developing a creative tactical idea within your groups in response to a client brief.
You will find further details on this task in the “Exercise: Making a Pitch” activity below. Your creative pitch will need to be completed and submitted by Thursday 4th June, 20:00 GMT+1 (BST).
The tutors will review your ideas and select a number of groups to present their creative imaginings in the next live class on Thursday 11th June. We will contact the groups selected to present by Friday 5th June.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Outline the main legal and ethical issues facing marketers today.
- Identify the main regulators and explain their roles in upholding industry standards.
- Integrate your understanding into the planning and execution of advertising campaigns.
- A business that targets younger customers - http://www.hollisterco.com/shop/uk.
- A business that targets older customers - http://www.saga.co.uk.
1. Comment on the policy based on the criteria presented in the video:
- Clarity: Is the policy easy to understand?
- Transparency: Is anything being hidden?
- Honesty: Are they honest about what they’re going to do?
- Delivery: Do they deliver on what it says in the policy?